This new edition is a comprehensive guide to nearly 200 invasions, conquests, battles, and occupations, from ancient times to the present. Throughout history, invasions and conquests have played a remarkable role in shaping our world and defining our boundaries, both physically and culturally.
The Encyclopedia of Invasions & Conquests, from the Ancient Times to the Present is arranged into four main sections:
- The Entries section is split into seven parts based on time periods, including the Ancient World, the Classical World, the Dark & Middle Ages, the Renaissance & Age of Exploration, the Age of Revolutions & Napoleon, the Age of Empires, and the 20th to 21st centuries. Each of these sections begins with a brief essay discussing the state of warfare in that era, a Map, and a selection of A-Z entries that focus on Countries, Invasions & Conquests, and Individuals, to provide a well-rounded overview of all aspects of invasions, including their political, economic, religious, and cultural ramifications.
- The Readings section provides valuable primary sources that aid in extended research and understanding. These readings include the Laws of War from the Hague Convention of 1907, excerpts from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the U.S. Constitution, and much more.
- The Historical Timeline section lists all of the individual entries in chronological order with the beginning and ending dates for each conflict, so that historical themes and developments can be explored.
- Finally, the Bibliography will be an invaluable resource in further research
This fourth edition includes a number of new articles to fill in some gaps in history that did not get covered in the previous edition. Updates includes articles from the late 20th century and early 21st centuries to describe activities that have taken place in conflicts that were ongoing at the time of the last edition, such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Newer invasions which have taken place since the last edition have also been included, such as the Russian incursion into Ukraine. Finally, a new article addresses a pressing issue of the contemporary world: to what extent can large-scale migration or refugee movements be considered an invasion? Also new to this edition are the seven section introductions that discuss warfare as it pertains to the time period covered in that section.
- Completely revised and expanded with events in 2022
- Arranged by historical period, each chapter begins with a map to help readers locate key areas and geographical features, followed by A-Z entries with bibliographical references.
- Complete and comprehensive coverage, with new articles on 21st-century invasions in Russia, Ukraine, and North Vietnam, plus a wide variety of additional historic essays.
- Categories of entries include Countries, Invasions & Conquests, and Individuals, to provide a well-rounded overview of all aspects of invasions, including their political, economic, religious, and cultural ramifications.
- The entries on Leaders--among them Sargon, Alexander the Great, William the Conquerer, and Adolf Hitler--deal with people who sought to gain control, expand power, or exert religious or political influence over others through military means.
- Other useful features include cross-references, a cumulative biography, and a comprehensive subject index.
- Available in print and ebook formats.
Whether in print or online, this authoritative, well-organized, clearly-written volume will be invaluable for a variety of readers, including high school students, military historians, members of the armed forces, history buffs and hobbyists, and will be a useful resource for both university and public library reference collections.
Buy the Print and Get Free Online Access on the Popular Salem Press/Grey House Platform!
Encyclopedia of Invasions & Conquests comes with FREE ONLINE ACCESS on the popular Salem Press/Grey House platform, http://online.salempress.com. With unlimited users and remote access included, your students and researchers can now search this amazing collection of data, anytime & anywhere.